At RESULTS, we make change in the world in three ways:
Political will - we create the public and political will to end extreme poverty.
Policy change - we influence the policies of the UK Government and global institutions to ensure that resources reach those in greatest need and have real impact.
Resource mobilisation - we educate decision makers about the benefits of investing resources that provide life-saving healthcare, an education, and economic opportunities to millions of the world’s poorest people.
In the last 5 years alone, we’ve achieved some amazing things. Read on to find out more about some of our most recent achievements.
- Working with the All Party Parliamentary Group on Global Tuberculosis, we helped launch the Barcelona Declaration, a commitment to accelerate action in the fight against TB. This lead to the formation of the Global TB Caucus, a global network of over 1000 MPs from over 100 countries dedicated to ending TB by 2030.
- In 2014, the International Development Select Committee carried out an inquiry into ‘Disability and Development’, partly in response to ongoing pressure from a coalition of NGO’s working on inclusive education that we were a part of. The recommendations from this inquiry led to the establishment of the Department for International Developments (DFID) ‘Disability Framework’, a powerful document outlining how DFID programmes will be made more inclusive for people living with a disability.
- We were instrumental in securing explicit language on TB and research and development in both the Conservative and the Liberal Democrats manifesto ahead of the 2015 election. This led to the subsequent announcement from the UK Government of £1 billion for R&D through the Ross Fund that will fund the development of new drugs and diagnostics for TB and malaria.
- Following sustained advocacy on inclusive education over a number of years, the UK Government announced that all schools built in developing countries with UK aid from 2014 onwards would be made accessible for children living with disabilities.
Working in coalition with other organisations working on nutrition, we helped shape DFID’s nutrition position paper through our report ‘Increasing the UK’s contribution to tackling malnutrition’. Due for release in late 2016, the paper will guide the UK’s nutrition investments and programmes.
- In 2016, we were instrumental in securing a landmark commitment from the UK Government of £1.1 billion to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria. This pledge will help support the Global Fund's efforts to save 8 million more lives over the next threee years.
- After our public campaign on TB and mining, we successfully secured a landmark commitment of £2 million from the UK Government to help tackle the TB epidemic in the gold mining industry in South Africa. This contribution has helped unlock a regional grant of $30 million from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria that is helping diagnose and treat TB amongst miners in 10 countries in the region.
- Working with our ACTION partners worldwide in 2014, we helped Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance, exceed its global goal of raising $7.5 billion from donor governments, with the UK as the world's leading donor. This funding will save the lives of more than five million children from vaccines preventable diseases, making an enormous impact on global health.
For more information about what we’ve achieved, take a look at our latest Annual Review or get in contact with the office.